Join us for a Family Literacy Night on Tuesday, Nov. 10th from 6:30-7:30 p.m. This virtual event will feature a book talk hosted by bbgb books in Carytown and a pajama story time with author Corinne Luck! This event is open to children and families. Please RSVP at this link https://tinyurl.com/RALCLiteracyNight by Nov. 8th.
We are pleased to announce that membership is open for 2020-2021 year!
Your membership in RARC gives you free admission to all RARC and other chapter events and a discounted registration fee for the annual VSLA (formerly VSRA) conference!
Our RARC board has already been hard at work planning for this year and we have some exciting ideas for the year. We look forward to collaborating with YOU as we engage students, parents, teachers, and the community to promote a life-long love for literacy!
To become a member of RARC/VSLA:
- Go to www.vsra.org
- Click on Sign up to be a Member if you are joining for the first time or click on Member Log In if you are renewing your membership.
- Complete the membership form.
- Don’t forget to click on the SUBMIT button (scroll down to bottom of page).
Things to know:
- Select Richmond Area as your chapter – your membership is for both VSLA and RARC!
- Membership is rolling, which means your membership will expire a year from when you join.
- Members can pay via PayPal or by check. Online payment is encouraged. If using a check, follow the directions on the screen. Membership is not complete until payment (online or check) is received.
- Members are asked to use personal emails, to prevent VSLA emails from being blocked or going to spam.
Don’t delay – cross RARC Membership off your “to-do” list before going back to school!
We look forward to this year together and wish you all the best!
Teachers as Readers Grant
- Applicant must be a member of RARC.
- Groups must consist of 5 or more participants.
- Discussion group must meet at least 4 times from February through June 2020.
- Copies of receipts for books purchased must be submitted to the Grant Chairperson by July 1, 2020.
- Group leader must submit dates met, a list of participants, and a summary of the discussions to the Grant Chairperson by July 1, 2020.
- Grants will be announced by February 7, 2020.
Apply here: https://bit.ly/2FLQQDJDeadline to apply: January 24, 2020
We have several leadership positions open for the 2020-2021 school year. Let us know if you are interested (or know someone who might be interested) in any of these positions. Brief descriptions are included below:
- Vice-President (helps to organize the fall conference and assists the President-Elect and President as needed). This a three year commitment and this person will transition to President-Elect and then President.
- Secretary (attends meetings and takes minutes approximately 4-5 meetings a year). This is a two year commitment.
- Treasurer (records our membership revenue and works with the VSRA treasurer to pay expenses). This is a two year commitment.
- Member at Large (attends meetings and shares responsibilities of the leadership team).
- Young Writers Chair (organizers the Young Writers contest and celebration).
The RARC Teachers as Readers Grant is now open for submissions! See more about the grant under the Committees tab found under the About section at the top of the page. You can also click on this link to find out more: https://richmondreads.com/about/committees/teachers-as-readers-grant/
VSRA also has several grants and awards for teachers and full-time students. Many are due December 15th or January 15th. Apply today! https://www.vsra.org/awards
Save the date for the RARC Spring Conference! The conference will take place on March 26, 2019 from 4:30-6:30 PM at Swift Creek Middle School. Keynote speaker: John Slagle.